Thursday, August 4, 2011

Maintenance problems, just part and parcel of journey...

Recently some issues have cropped up which I attribute to the normal maintenance problems that come with a long term tracked car. My brake pedal has gone soggy for a bit and replacing the worn pads and discs with newer 2nd hand spares havent solved it. A cheaper brake pump repair kit hasn't really worked so I may have resort to a whole new brake master pump.

My brakes seem to engage one first and then another which points to a potential sticking caliper on one side of the car. A brake seal repair kit is the solution but thats got to be ordered and it would take time to come in not to say for it to be fitted.

My aircon compressor clutch was jammed and I had no choice but to resort to getting a reconditioned one so that I could get the car going. Although its a 2nd hand unit, it seems to be running fine.

Finally, temperatures seemed to get high on my car and at first I thought it was the thermostat so I swopped it out for a low temperature thermostat with a low temperature fan switch. I then found that coolant temps rising on idle and pinpointed it to a failed radiator fan. I swopped out both fans for new units as this is probably due since my car is about 115,000kms to date.

A couple of hundred spent in total in maintenance but it goes a long way to keeping the car track ready for next year. At least I can focus fully on tracking without delays then! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment